By Casey Camilleri
Typically when you are looking for social networking sites it is common to Google something like “list of social networking sites” and Wikipedia’s list shows up. In my opinion this list is so outdated and it lists a bunch of sites no one uses!
That’s why I have put together the top 56 list of social networking sites. If you are looking to optimize any of these sites for yourself check out my social media optimization posts. I’ll be adding new site strategies each week. Enjoy!
1. About.Me - About.me lets you quickly build simple and visually elegant splash pages that points visitors to your content from around the web. Get started today.
2. Flavors.Me – Flavors.me allows anyone to make a branded web presence using personal content from around the Internet.
3. BigSight – Why bigsight? 87% of our profiles appear at the top of Google. This allows you to share your story with the world.
4. Ziggs – White pages and free people search for professionals.
5. Xing – XING is a social network for business and career. Find old acquaintances, new people, jobs, events, companies, and groups.
6. LinkedIn – 50 million+ members | Manage your professional identity. Build and engage with your professional network. Access knowledge, insights and opportunities.
7. Plaxo – The leading smart address book, Plaxo unifies your contacts across sources, proactively updates contact info, and syncs your complete address book.
8. StumbleUpon – StumbleUpon is the easiest way to discover new and interesting web pages, photos and videos across the Web.
9. Twitter – Instantly connect to what’s most important to you. Follow your friends, experts, favorite celebrities, and breaking news.
10. Listorious – Listorious – Discover the best Twitter lists.
11. Twitpic – Share photos and videos on twitter.
12. Twitaholic – Tracking the most popular users of a certain microblogging/social network tool.
13. Facebook – Facebook is a social utility that connects people with friends and others who work
14. DailyBooth – DailyBooth is one big conversation about your life, through pictures
15. Pinterest – A content sharing service that allows members to “pin” images, videos and other objects to their pinboard.
16. Google+ – Google+ aims to make sharing on the web more like sharing in real life.
17. GoodReads – See what your friends are reading. Keep track of what you’ve read and organize your books into virtual bookshelves.
18. Tumblr – A feature rich and free blog hosting platform offering professional and fully customizable templates, bookmarklets, photos, mobile apps, and social network.
19. YouTube – Share your videos with friends, family, and the world.
20. WorkFace – Workface is a post-social media platform that is ready for social business, the hip alter ego of old-fashioned live chat software for websites.
21. Scribd – Scribd is a social publishing site, where tens of millions of people share original writings and documents. Scribd’s vision is to liberate the written word.
22. DocStoc – Docstoc is a community for people to find and share professional documents. Find free legal documents and free business documents.
23. Flickr – Flickr is almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world.
24. iKarma – Harness The Power of Reputation. Capture Customer Comments; Display Testimonials Online; Locate Trustworthy Businesses; Manage Your Word-Of-
25. Digg – The best news, videos and pictures on the web as voted on by the Digg community. Breaking news on Technology, Politics, Entertainment, and more!
26. Reddit – User-generated news links. Votes promote stories to the front page.
27. HackerNews – The Hacker News is Most Comprehensive resource in providing news related to Information Technology, Hacker News, Hacked by, Learn Hacking, email hacker.
28. Gather – Gather is the place where millions of people come for a fresh perspective on what’s happening now. Gather Members can join in the conversation.
29. Weebly – Named one of TIME’s 50 Best Websites, Weebly has an easy, drag & drop interface to create your own website. It’s free, powerful, and professional.
30. Emurse – Create, share and store your resume online for free. Use our resume builder and have a new resume in minutes.
31. WordPress – A semantic personal publishing platform with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability.
32. LookupPage – Enhance your online visibility on all leading search engines using LookupPage. Be in control of your business and personal online image.
33. Ziki – Ziki.com is an online B to B marketplace connecting buyers and sellers.
34. Repvine – RepVine is an online reference and reputation management service. RepVine puts your reputation online.
35. PlanCast – Plancast is the best way to discover events and share plans with friends.
36. Spoke – Discover, contribute to, and create industry topics, organizations, companies, and people. Become a part of the new business information community.
37. BlogSpot -It’s free. Template. Beautiful, customizable templates and layouts. Try the template designer. Stats. Up to the minute stats. Monetize. Make money with Adsense.
39. Mashable -Social Media news blog covering cool new websites and social networks: Facebook, Google, Twitter, MySpace and YouTube.
40. Quora – Quora connects you to everything you want to know about. Quora aims to be the easiest place to write new content and share content from the web.
41. PeoplePond – Online profile and personal branding platform with Personal Identity Verification.
42. GetGlue - GetGlue is a social network for entertainment. Check-in and rate things to discover new favorites, see what your friends are into, get stickers and win free stuff.
43. List.ly -Listly helps bloggers and publishers engage readers with continuously evolving viral lists.
44. Formspring.me -Formspring requires all users to provide their real date of birth, but it is used for internal purposes only.
45. Namesake -The easiest way to discuss what you love — live.
46. FriendFeed -FriendFeed is a service that makes it easy to share with friends online. It offers a fun and interactive way to discover and discuss information among friends.
47. Art of Saving – Art Of Saving, a social media network for ALL your financial needs, is a community for consumers, advisors, and small business owners to meet, share, discuss.
48. Picasa – Organize, edit, and share your photos.
49. Meetup – Helps groups of people with shared interests plan meetings and form offline clubs in local communities around the world.
50. Viddy – Life in the moment. Turn your everyday moments into perfect little movies with Viddy. New! Add Viddy to your Facebook Timeline.
51. Paper.li – Turn Twitter, Facebook and RSS feeds into online newspapers in just a few clicks
52. SmugMug – Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo sharing. Protect your priceless memories. Create beautiful prints & gifts.
53. YouNoodle – Meet exceptional people. Join the startup of your dreams. Show the world your support for cool entrepreneurs. What are you noodling on today?
54. Posterous – Share Smarter. Share Smarter. Posterous Spaces is the easiest way to share safely online. Share More, Work Less.
55. Vimeo – Vimeo is the home for high-quality videos and the people who love them.
56. Konnects – Konnects is a social media platform that is embedded on the site of an online newspaper or publication to bring engagement to the organization’s site.